Tuesday, January 4, 2011

in·tro·duc·tion

[in-truh-duhk-shuh-n] 

–noun
1.
the act of introducing or the state of being introduced.
2.
a formal personal presentation of one person to another or others.

Introductions are a necessary part of everyday life. If you hide yourself wherever you go, are you every really there? To my utter embarrassment, I was never graced with the gift of giving good introductions. I'm quite certain that my first post here will be littered with stray thoughts, mediocre vocabulary and cringe-worthy structure. I'm near to ignorant when it comes to using a blog and I somehow fear that my first post- my momentous introduction- will effectively run off any people from day one on. First impressions are critical, after all. Anxieties and compulsiveness aside, I deem it best to simply continue in this quest of obtaining the praise and fame we all strive for in life. Every man, woman and child in the face of the planet compete to become a new-generation van Gogh, a modern Mozart, the next Edgar Allan Poe or David Bowie. They want to rally the people to fight for their causes without throwing a punch; like Martin Luther King Jr. or Mahatma Gandhi. They want to be part of the reciprocal arrangement of poetic history and go down in the books as something unique

Am I any different, you ask?

Although I see how foolish it seems, to work ones whole life to achieve that which we are all born with: individuality, I do not put myself on a pedestal above the masses. But I will tell you this: I will not be the next Kurt Cobain or Karl Marx.  I will be the very first of my kind. Whilst I often lack this refreshing optimism that is always coupled with such hopes and dreams, I make up for it with a wide view on the world, an abundance of time on my hands, a pack of cigarettes and typewriter ink. 


I realize that I'm not writing on a typewriter. I have one, albeit in the corner at this very moment, but the notion of bringing my childhood dreams to a successful conclusion with HP Office jet 56 Printer ink hardly seems passionate, no? Using 'passion' as my key word, I will go on to address one more subject that has been smothering my head like a wet blanket for ages.

Romanticism, although long dead in the pulsating organs within most peoples' bodies, is still very much alive to me. By Romanticism, of course, I don't mean the 'act of being romantic'. It has nothing to do with inelegant Cupid sculptures, stuffed animals holding plush hearts or red roses. In lieu of this, you will see that what's mean by this is an artistic and philosophical movement that redefined the fundamental ways in which people (usually in Western cultures) thought about not only themselves but the world surrounding them. Imagination is what I mean. The imagination soared to a position as the supreme faculty of the mind during this time. This contrasted distinctly with the traditional arguments for the supremacy of reason. The Romantics saw the imagination as our ultimate "shaping" or creative power. Imagination is the primary faculty for creating all art.

 I suppose I could consider myself a Romantic. As I am in no way omniscient, I tend to stray away from labels of sorts to avoid constraining myself, or worse, making an idiot of myself. This time, however, I will assume this term. With this said, I hope you'll embark with me on this twisted journey. It'll lead you through various stages of my imagination, be they macabre and morbid or full of childish aspirations and naivety.

Before I cease this long-winded speech in my awkward attempt at an introduction, I'd like to pay my due respects to my good friend Janine. I honestly doubt that I would've bothered making a Blog, had she not inspired me with her own. She assisted me in the layout (and will hopefully do so in the future) and got me started up on this site. I will link her here in this post as soon as I figure how to. Her Blog is a very entertaining and beautifully designed one, concentrating on the world of Fashion, Creativity and so much more.

1 comment:

  1. Although I already wrote something concerning your introduction on facebook, I'll comment a bit more detailed here, as I know how excited I always am when I get any comments on my blog.
    Besides you still have to correct the posting time (; , I pretty much like your introduction, although I think you still skimmed over the essence of your work. It's a introduction and, if I'm not completely wrong, you don't really say what's to come up next on your blog.
    I mean, your work is so much more than what you describe. Look at Caring For Julian...it's one of my favourite "books", although it's not even finished! And, hell, that means something.
    My advice is to quickly show them how overwhelming good your writing skills are. The introduction is a pretty good start when it comes to style, but it definetely is only a foretaste of your real capabilities!
    Go on, sweetheart...
    I love your work and so will all the other people that aren't interested in pussy-stuff like Twilight.
    <3

    ReplyDelete